Monday, March 2, 2009

Patriotic Program

Last Tuesday, the first grade classes had their annual "Patriotic Program". They all did such a GREAT job! I was at a lot of the practices, and these kids practiced their guts out!!! I couldn't believe how hard they worked to make this program so great!! They learned so many songs and poems I couldn't believe it!

They got to wear cute "flag" hats that they incorporated into the program, and each student got to design and make their own patriotic shirt. It was so cute!! They put contact paper stars and strips of tape on white shirts, then painted over the design with red and blue paint. Each shirt was so unique, and they all turned out really cute!!

I was just so grateful for this program. Many of the songs were about the flag - and I know that the teachers taught these kids to respect the flag, and really taught the kids how important our flag is and what it really stands for!

Some of the songs were also about soldiers, and veterans. I know first grade is really young to truly understand what our soldiers have and continue to do for our country, but at least they are trying to teach them.

Other songs and even a poem were about our founding fathers. How great to teach these kids about the amazing men who founded our great country! What an important lesson to learn.

At the end, all four classes saluted the flag as they (and the audience) sang the "Star Spangled Banner". I couldn't help but think how neat it was for these young children to know our anthem!!

I am so glad that we live in this country, and enjoy the freedoms that we do!! I am thankful for teachers who try to show our kids how important it is too!! Thanks teachers! You did an amazing job!!

5 comments:

Kayela said...

Good job Brittany

Kenny and Amber said...

I totally agree! I hope, with the way our country is going and the leaders we have chosen, that these blessings, freedoms, and opportunities will continue - - sometimes I wonder!

Unknown said...

Cool! I agree with you. Who directed it? I couldn't tell. Cute, cute, cute.

Grovers said...

Elaine Johnson directed it. Carrie - saw your mom there - probably right before she went off to do her student teaching. Crazy that she is so far away. Hope it is going good for her.

Unknown said...

Thanks, she's doing well. Haven't heard from her in a couple days, but last I heard, she was loving it.