August starting out being a CRAZY busy month. Generally the fair isn't quite so early, but this year is started during the first of August, and we've been running ever since. Sit down and get comfy, this will be a long post. (If you aren't a reader . . . scroll down to the video at the end for the highlights.)
This year again, the kids have been raising pigs during the summer to sell at the fair. Jensen also raised a pig, (the alternate). I am so proud of how hard the kids worked this summer . . .and it was work. This year the pigs didn't gain weight like they should have, so they were on a special, portioned diet, that took a lot of work and dedication on the part of the kids. Their hard work paid off though, and the pigs made weight. (They have to weigh a minimum amount to be allowed to show & sell).
They showed their animals Thursday and Friday. The girls did excellent!! I was very pleased with how well they looked and how well they handled their animals. They have learned so much about showmanship these past couple of years.
Brooklyn's pig (Mantis) got a blue ribbon (the highest they can get) and was called back for the "star" class. (That is where they compete against the top pigs in from weight division, not just their own weight division.) She ended up taking 7th place out of ALL the mini-livestock pigs. (There were about 40 I think.) BJ would have like a better result, but I was just happy the pig made weight and did that good!!
Brittany showed her pig (Monkey) really well also!! He also received a blue ribbon and was called back to the star class as well. Monkey did GREAT. He was 1st reserve. (That would be second place out of about 25). Brittany was hilarious Thursday morning when we were getting ready to go. She said "I hope my pig doesn't do very well." I asked why. Her reply, "Mom, if we win, I will get another trophy and I don't have any where to put one." The girl had a point . . .their room really is pretty darn full of trophies and ribbons. I told her she still needed to try her best, and if she won, we would find a place for her trophy. Well . . .low and behold . . .we are trying to find a place for her trophy. The kids are convinced BJ needs to build a trophy room. Can you say EGO??
Friday after the livestock show, they had family fun games. Every year kids and parents can participate in events to earn tickets. Then the ticket numbers get called, and if you are "lucky", you get to try to earn some money by rubbing honey all over your body, digging through sawdust, and finding "paper" money that can be traded for some real cash. This year we all did the egg toss (I was the one that dropped the egg), the hula contest (yes, I was even a good sport for that.), and the limbo (I am going to win next year!!!) One of Jensen's tickets got called, and we did honey money together. One of Brittany's tickets got called and she found money with Madison. Brooklyn's tickets weren't lucky. I think Jensen got 10 dollars and Brittany & Madi split $13. Good times were had by all!!
Friday night came and around and it was time for the "Cowboy games". So much fun to watch and HILARIOUS!!! This year BJ had a team and they did the rescue race (1 guy has to rescue 3 other guys on a horse riding bareback.) They also did branding, (sort a calf out and "fake" brand it), the hide race (one guy rides to one end of the arena where another guy (or girl) jumps onto a hide that is being pulled by the horse and rides back to the start). BJ was grabbing a calf to turn it onto its side and the calf went CRAZY and totally trampled him. I was a little concerned at first, but he was all right. Talk about "cowboy up". Good times!!
Saturday was the sale. Brooklyn sold Mantis first, and then Brittany sold Monkey later on. Thanks so much to the buyers!! It is so neat to see how many people support the 4-H program . . .and generally spend a pretty penny doing so. The buyers are fantastic!! What a great thing they do for the youth invovled in this program.
Saturday night was the youth rodeo. This was SOOO much fun . . .I think even more so than the rodeo they brought in the weekend before. Jensen and Brooklyn both ran the barrels and poles and did really good. There were so many family members invovled, it was a blast to watch everyone - and everyone did SOOOO well!! We even had nephews that rode calves (OUCH!!!) as well as nephews that actually rode a bull. (well, tried to.)
Amongst all of this, the girls had to feed, water, & bathe their pigs. Jensen was usually found watching the animals. (Watch for the cute picture of him sitting on the barrel.) I think he sat in that position for about 45 minutes, just watching the longhorn cattle in the pen. There were also lots of craft and games that the kids were involved for most parts of the day. We barely found time to eat lunch or cook dinner.
The week of the fair is always CRAZY busy, but it is also CRAZY fun!!!! What can I say, we are just CRAZY!!
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
YEA!! Jeanna!! I miss your blogs!! Your kids are so adorable! And I love what you tell about them. The school shopping story cracked me up. I was totally the same at their age! haha. Ps. I don't know if I ever thanked you for the receiving blanket and burp cloth! It is adorable!! I know how much work goes into those blankets! I made 3 myself. THANK YOU!! -Stubbs
This made my kids a little San Juan County sick! They love the fair!! Fun!!! We love seeing Madi and your kids!!!!!!
FINALLY! I have so missed your blogs, they make my day. Thanks for the updates on the Grover family.
Love ya,
The Just push 4 and hold it down just grandma.
Post a Comment