Saturday, April 24, 2010

Green?



I haven't ever been a real "green" kind of person . . .maybe the opposite in fact, since I feel so strongly about cows and the ozone. But, for earth day in the library, we went all out. (kind of).

Wed, Thur, and Fri we had "earth day" activities and made crafts out of recycled items . . . . what more could you want? Wearable gargbage. It was great.The kids had a bunch of fun, (and let's admit it, so did I). On Wednesday we made "pop top" bracelets. I had strips of ribbon, and they just wove the tops of pop cans onto the ribbons . . .but then the kids got creative and made bookmarks, bracelets, pendants, rings, earrings, and even bows for hair with them.

We also made starburst chains, (bookmarks), but the kids didn't have as much fun with those. I think it was probably a little bit too tedious, but fun nevertheless.
Thursday we made magazine beads (which actually look pretty cool). The kids didn't believe I actually made the beads on my bracelet, but I did, and it was super easy. Some of the kids used scrapbook paper and made way cool, coordinating bracelets.
Thursday we also made bottle cap creations, which were definately the hit of the week. We were just going to make magnets, but the kids ended up making bracelets, necklaces, key chains, magnets, and all kinds of fun things.
Friday we made toilet paper roll picture frames. This one was more "girlish" than any of the other projects, but the frames turned out cute. I printed pictures of the students working on their earth day projects and put them in the frames I made. I think they were cute, if I do say so myself.
I was truly surprised at the students who got involved in these projects . . . especially the guys. It was even more surprising to the see the kids that actually sported their creations all week long.
All in all, we probably wasted more than we saved, but we sure had fun doing it!! Green? Sure!

No comments: