Monday, September 22, 2008

Peaches

Pretty much the entire week last week was spent doing peaches! I have never seen so many peaches in my life!! There was an orchard near Hovenweep that was giving away its peaches if you went and picked them. On a Saturday, Merlin, JJ, Asa, Kayela, and DeeAnn went and picked peaches. They filled the entire back of Merlin's truck!! Thanks guys for the pickin'!

Monday we got to work!! Tuesday we got to work! Wednesday we got to work!! We canned peach after peach after peach. Together we (all the girls) did over 315 quarts of peaches!

After we filled our bottles, we went to work on jam. I think all together, in one day we all did 15 batches of jam. (There may have been more - I think we lost count.)

It is such a fulfilling feeling to see all the bottles lined up and feel like we accomplished something! My sister-in-law's mom always says that she loves when she gets done canning, because it is a job that you can look at when it is done - and is a job that stays done! (unlike dishes or cleaning or laundry.)

Thanks everyone for all your hard work!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm...that looks nummy! I want to go buy some peaches now! :)

Grovers said...

I am gearing up to make some raspberry peach jam and some peach bread. . . yummy!!! I'm just glad I didn't have to buy any of the peaches. =)

Kenny and Amber said...

Wasn't it great that we got all those free peaches? My dad called it mana from heaven, and I think he is right. My mom, Candice and I bottled 130 all together. I didn't get any photos though - good job!

Grovers said...

LouAnn was saying that she hoped your dad would get some. She said that when he was little, he basically lived on bottled peaches.